Saturday, June 27, 2009

Native American Bead Embroidery Update


Earlier this month I shared with your my struggles with learning Native American Bead Embroidery. I finally finished one little section of the design and have decided it will go into my "unforgettable experience" box. I do love the designs especially by the northern tribes. They are so soft and fluent unlike the angular geometrics of the southwestern tribes which I grew up seeing. I want to figure out exactly what I want to put a design on, and make it specifically for that item, but I won't work it on muslin.

Fabric and a hoop is recommended, but I just had too much trouble working with a hoop even though I have been embroidering for well over 50 years. When I make my next design I will work it on peltex 70 or lacy's stiff stuff which won't need a hoop.

I've ordered the beads to finish Dragon Scales. While I'm waiting, I got started learning the diagonal square stitch I mentioned in Summer Beading The edge color beads aren't noted in the pattern and I couldn't figure out which ones of the increase beads were going to actually be on the edge, so I'm working my practice swatch in all one color. I've gotten to row 6 and am beginning to get the hang of it. I'll be posting an update later. It will either be a post of utter exhilaration or total frustration. From progress so far it will be the former.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, this looks great! Far beyond anything I accomplished so far, but I only tried lane stitch. I'm looking forward to see more in the future.
    If you still have problems looking at my blog, please tell me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails Share