Saturday, July 31, 2010

Herringbone Snowflake Christmas Ornament

It's such a beautiful day outside. There is a mild breeze and it would be a perfect day to work in the yard. Instead I'm busy uploading beadwork patterns. I just can't help myself. This lacy herringbone snowflake flitted into my mind like a lovely butterfly and just settled in until I finished working it, making the pattern and wouldn't leave until I'd shared it with my pattern customers.
I've worked it in a size 11 frosty alabaster white with crystal AB Swarovski bicones, a rainbow green with peridot Swarovski bicones and size 8 blue lined crystal with Celsetial Crystal bicones. The blue size 8 is edged with a matt rainbow blue which is darker than the main body of the snowflake because I ran out of the blue lined crystal. I'm thinking of using a darker bead for the main body and fading it out to lighter on the next snowflake.

Many customers just can't work with the size 15 and size 11 seed beads that I usually use to create my designs, and many of them just don't look that pretty done in larger beads, so I thought I'd see how these looked. I think they turned out very pretty in all sizes and colors.

This design presents many different variations in my mind and that's what I want to get across to beaders who work only from patterns. You can adapt patterns simply by using different size, shape, or color.

The pattern for this Herringbone Snowflake is available at The Bead Coop and at BeadPatternsBoutique

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails Share